Who knew that Borax, a laundry booster, could be so much fun? We have recently found several fun activities to do with it, but I wanted to share this one with you in honor of Valentine’s Day.
We found this great project on the awesome blog Club Chica Circle.
Today we are making Crystal Hearts. This is a super easy project.
- 1/4 cup Borax (parents: Borax can be dangerous if ingested. Do this project with children old enough to follow clear directions. Curious about the safety of Borax? Get Informed. Read this!)
- Very hot water (Let a parent handle this part. Very hot water can be dangerous if spilled)
- Mason Jars (or a similar size container)
- Popsicle sticks (pencils would work ok too)
- Multi Colored Pipe Cleaners
- String Or Yarn (I forgot to add that to the picture)
- And that’s it!
Here is what you will do!
- First, make a heart shape out of your pipe cleaners. Make sure that the heart will fit within the glass without touching the sides
- Next, tie yarn or string to your heart so that it can hang.
- Wrap the other end of the yarn or string around a popsicle stick so that your heart is able to hang inside the glass and the popscicle stick lays over the rim of the glass. See picture below.
- Add 1/4 cup of Borax to the empty mason jar or similar container.
- Fill glass or container with very hot (near boiling) water
- Stir the water until Borax is dissolved. Be careful with the water. Also, be aware that the glass will become extremely hot.
- Lastly, hang your heart inside your glass and let sit overnight.
- You will be amazed at what you see in the morning!
Parents, if you decide to do this project with your kids, be sure to send us a picture! Click here to show us what you did!
Happy Valentine’s Day!
From CQ Nation